The Pabst Hotel was located 153 West 42nd Street (also 1469 Broadway and 603 7th Avenue). Construction began in October 1898 by Charles Thorley, who in turn leased the building to the Pabst Brewing Company and was run by proprietor James B. Regan.
The Pabst Hotel opened in 1899 at what is now One Times Square—close to its brewery at 49th Street. The hotel, according to the New York Times, had five bedrooms on each of the upper floors, and in “early 1900 the owners added a conservatory on top of the portico, an extension of the Empire-style restaurant on the second floor.” The construction of the IRT subway went through the basement of the hotel and in 1902, putting the hotel in the center of many legal battles. The Pabst Hotel was torn down in 1903 to make way for the The New York Times Building, which was built on the same triangular plot formed by the intersection of 7th Avenue and Broadway and still stands today.